Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Header Ads Widget

Author Interview with Kay Ellis


20 Questions
(Author Interviews)
Brought to you by
Book Nook Nuts



1.Where do you write from? 
My armchair usually, although  I have been known to take my laptop to work when I was trying to get something finished for a deadline. Earlier this year, I took a writing pad and spent a few days sitting by the sea to write.

2.When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? 
I’ve written stories since I was a child. It just took a long time for me to even attempt to get published.

3. How long does it take you to write a book? 
It varies, because I have 3 or 4 in progress and I switch between them depending on who calls to me the loudest. If I get stuck in it can take a few months. Others have taken over a year.

4.Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
All over the place. I think all stories start with a “what if…?” I can see or hear something on the tv or in the street and my brain goes “what if…”. I have a WIP at the moment that came from a dream I had.

5.When did you write your first book and how old were you?
My first publication was a short story just over 3 years ago. As for my age… a lady never tells!

6.What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I am an avid reader, but I also like colouring.

7.What Genre do you write?
I write m/m romance, mainly contemporary but with a bit of fantasy thrown in.

8.How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
Number 10 comes out in January. There’s 6 novellas and 3 short stories. They are all my favourites in different ways!

9.Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
Not really. I don’t think I’m well known enough yet but one of my favourite comments was from someone who said she’d been reading my book on the train and had carried on at her desk at work. That made my day.

10.As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I wanted to be an English teacher… or a coach driver!

11.Tell us about your current project.
I’m about to start editing for Fantasize, a tale of male strippers. I’m also working on First Contact - two guys on the run during an alien invasion, Starstruck – a sequel to Macho featuring nurse Eric, and Blade – a post-apocalypse adventure.

12.How do you handle writers block?
If I hit a wall, I switch to one of my other projects for a while until the characters call to me again.

13.What one subject is TABOO in your writing?
Rape because (thank god) I don’t know enough about the after effects to handle the subject adequately. 

14.If there was one book you wish you'd written, which would it be?
The whole of The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward.

15.What is your biggest pet peeve?
I’m told I don’t suffer fools gladly!

16.Is there one current tv show that is a "can't miss" for you?
It used to be Dr Who before the show changed beyond recognition. There’s The Walking Dead and I’m a big fan of Sons Of Anarchy.

17.Who was your greatest influence?
Has to be the late, great Jackie Collins. I got to talk to her once via satellite and it was crazy to think that she’d read something I wrote.

18.How do you choose your book covers?
By pouring over hundreds and hundreds of photos until I find something close to what I have in mind. I usually save half a dozen and then run them by my daughter.

19.Something personal about you people may be surprised to know?
A few years ago I came in the top three of a national, televised writing competiton. I didn’t win but I changed the main characters to a gay couple and Young At Heart was published.

20.How would a reader find you online? IE: Website, Facebook, Twitter, Street Team, Reader Group. 


Instagram@kayellisauthor












Post a Comment

0 Comments