Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Header Ads Widget

Author Interview with Rebecca M. Gibson


20 Questions
(Author Interview)
 Brought to you by
Book Nook Nuts



1.Where do you write from?

I currently live in Cornwall, UK, which is at the bottom of England – right across the water from Plymouth. It’s a lovely place to live, right by the sea. There’s also a lot of rich history down here and loads of stately homes. Inspiration isn’t hard to find!! 


2.When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always loved writing, however, growing up I put the dream to the side by studying Psychology at Aberystwyth University. I thought this would give me the most chance of finding a job. Let’s all take a moment to laugh… 
In 2012 I was made a finalist of the Wicked Young Writer Award, which is judged by the literary legend Michael Morpurgo (War Horse, Private Peaceful, Kenzuki’s Kingdom, etc.). That’s when I realised maybe I wasn’t so bad at this whole writing lark. 
Cut to 2016 and I’m studying for a master’s in Creative Writing at Plymouth University, have a novel published, and have a second novel on the way. Moral of the story, if you ain’t making money anyway you may as well not make money doing something you love. 


3.How long does it take you to write a book?

I wrote the first draft of Diamonds Fall during NaNoWriMo in 2013. It was an incredibly fast process, but I was unemployed and had nothing else on in life at the time. The editing process for that first book took about another year – probably more. I’m quicker at the process now but I would always like to leave at least six months for the full manuscript to be written and my own edits to be done (that’s not including professional edits).


4.Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

My ideas come from various places. Diamonds Fall came to me on a walk in a forest (as it’s set in a forest), Rubies Fall just kind of happened. It’s set in the First World War so it’s inspired in part by the poetry of Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon. In terms of research, I read a LOT of books set and written in the late 1800s and during WW1 to make sure my stories were historically accurate. I also visited various battle field locations in Belgium (the chocolate in Belgium is amazing, just FYI). 


5.When did you write your first book and how old were you?

I wrote my first novel Diamonds Fall, during NaNoWriMo 2013, at the age of 21.


6.What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I love to read, take walks in the countryside, and visit historical locations. Travelling is another thing I enjoy. I want to go to at least one new place every year.


7.What Genre do you write?

I currently write Historical Fiction, however, I also have book one of a fantasy series planned and am writing an adventure/ apocalypse style novel as well. I don’t want to always write the same book.

8.How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I’m currently writing my fifth novel at the moment (although I only have one published). Four and five are both incomplete so I’ve finished three novels. My favourite would have to be Rubies Fall. I loved exploring the world and spending time with those characters.


9.Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

I have recently started hearing from readers which is the most amazing feeling! Usually people talk about the emotions in Diamonds Fall – it’s quite the rollercoaster.


10.As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

Write! I just didn’t know I could be a writer for a long time. I also wanted to be midwife, a teacher, a police woman, and a princess at some point during my childhood. Let’s just say I was always indecisive. 


11.Tell us about your current project.

I’m currently editing my WW1 novel Rubies Fall for release this November. It takes a lot of emotional twists and turns, so I can’t wait for people to read it. 

"He shot everything that moved in a blind fury. As if he were floating outside his body, his flesh acted on pure animal instinct. To kill or be killed. It was exhilarating."

Grayson is the perfect twentieth-century gentleman. Whilst the world waits for him to choose a wife, he dreams of romanticism, adventure, and poetry. Thus, when war is declared in August 1914, he takes up his chance for glory, unknowingly marching head first into the bloodiest war the world has ever seen.



12.How do you handle writers block?

I keep writing. If you want to make a career out of writing you can’t take breaks every time you’re feeling uninspired, you have to just keep going and edit out the rubbish words during the editing phase. I think the key is to make writing a part of your everyday routine just like with any job. 

13.What one subject is TABOO in your writing?

I’m not a fan of erotica (sorry, I know it has a huge cult following) so I wouldn’t write any graphic sex scenes. Sex scenes, yes. Graphic sex scenes, no. 

14.If there was one book you wish you'd written, which would it be?

Harry Potter! (That’s seven books but…eh!)

15.What is your biggest pet peeve?

I have so many, haha!! In terms of the writing community, I get annoyed when writers try to bring each other down. Readers will read a lot of books in their lives, we don’t need to be acting out Mean Girls to attract them. Besides, people want to know their favourite authors are nice people. Nothing hurts your career more than childish bullying… Why can’t everyone just be nice and ride unicorns and eat rainbows? 

16.Is there one current tv show that is a "can't miss" for you?

I’m really into Nashville at the moment, I’m also obsessed with the Great British Bake-off. 

17.Who was your greatest influence?

Wilfred Owen and JK Rowling.

18.How do you choose your book covers?

My book covers are bespoke so they were made specifically for my novels. I knew what I wanted and my cover designer made it happen. I love the colours of them the most. I think they really stand out on a book shelf.

19.Something personal about you people may be surprised to know?

Erm…I’m a twin? I think people already know that but I don’t know what else to say, haha!


20.How would a reader find you online? IE: Website, Facebook, Twitter, Street Team, Reader Group.












Post a Comment

0 Comments