Brought to you by
Book Nook Nuts
1. Where do you write from?
I write on my laptop so I can take it wherever I go.
2. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
It was never my plan to be a writer. Even after I had written 140,000 words to begin my trilogy, I still didn't label myself as a writer or author. An editor I met had to convince me I actually can claim that title.
3. How long does it take you to write a book?
If I don't work my full-time job I can get a book out in about a month. Now the editing, formatting and cover to completion usually adds months to completion date.
4. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
From my dreams and then once I start writing the characters play out the scene (chapter) in my head as I type. I will sometimes stop writing and research details about a scene because I want it to feel as real as possible for the reader.
5. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
It was January of 2013. I was 33 years old.
6. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Spending time with my husband and four sons. Scrapbooking, making diaper cakes, cuddling with my mini-pig, and events with my mommy group.
7. What Genre do you write?
Romance. It could be viewed a contemporary or fall into the erotic category. Depends on the reader's views.
8. How many books have you written? What is your favorite?
I've written 3 books to complete my trilogy. Favorite is still the first one since it holds so much meaning and I learned how to become a published author because of it.
9. Do you hear from your readers much? What kind of things do they say?
I'm always open to chat with readers on Facebook or by email. Mostly, I'll get messages shortly after releasing a new book. It's always great things like "your books are my favorite" "I can't read another book until you release the next one" of course that was when people were waiting since I leave crazy cliff hangers. Haha.
10. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
When I was young I wanted to be a teacher. Later on, I received a scholarship to become a dental hygienist. But it didn't feel right when I started college. Eventually I followed my desire to help people and became a Registered Nurse. What I didn't realize before nursing was how much education and teaching we do, so it feels like I get to be a teacher to my patients in the hospital setting.
11. Tell us about your current project?
Nothing in the works right now. I've thought about spinning off a few people from my trilogy but financial aspects of this business has been a huge blocker in accomplishing those dreams.
12. How do you handle writers block?
I never got writers block. I either write or I don't. If I don't feel in the mood or my characters are moody too then I wait till they are inspired to tell me the next scene.
13. What one subject is TABOO in your writing?
Many times my stories follow the same rules on publisher's DON'T lists. No rape scenes, no incest, stuff like that.
14. If there was one book you wish you'd written, which would it be?
None. I feel like destiny plays a part in everyone's life so my writings would never be someone else's destiny and in turn I would never travel into theirs.
15. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Smokers. One of my many reasons I will never return to Las Vegas. Lol.
16. Is there one current tv show that is a "can't miss" for you?
17. Who was your greatest influence?
When I first started writing my sister really encouraged me to keep going. So she influenced me to not give up along with my first editor.
18. How do you choose your book covers?
I was assigned a cover artist by my first publisher. She had a list of questions I filled out on how I envisioned the covers. She came back with the images and was excellent at following what was in my head.
19. Something personal about you people may be surprised to know?
I am related to an ex-president of the United States. It has influenced my political views ever since I became able to vote.
20. How would a reader find you online?
www.authorshannonoconnor.com has ways to email me. Twitter and Instagram @thewavestrilogy but I'm barely on those sites. You can always find me on my mini-pig's Instagram @presley_kingofpigs. Best way is under my author name on FB or my author page www.facebook.com/AuthorShannonOConnor