Brought to you by
Book Nook Nuts
1. Where do you write from?
I write from my desk or my recliner. Usually, I’ll swap back and forth every hour or so.
2. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
When I was about 10. I’ve written stories since I was a little kid and I’ve always wanted to grow up to write books.
3. How long does it take you to write a book?
It depends...but typically it takes me 3 months of writing, then begins the editing process...which can take 1-2 months.
4. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
Everywhere. Watching people. Radio. TV. Art. Music.
5. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
My first complete book was in college. I was 19. No one but my mother has read that book, LOL!
6. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love to read. I have a terrible addiction to SimCity on my ipad. Simulation games are my jam...especially when I’m procrastinating. I love to cook and hang out with family. Play with the dogs. Watch a movie with hubby. I’m really laid back. I’m not really an outdoor person...mosquitos love me though.
7. What Genre do you write?
I write mostly paranormal romance, but I have the occasional contemporary story slip out on my other pen name (Emma Roman).
8. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
My husband could tell you. I don’t really keep track. Pretty sure I have more than 30. My favorite...why!!! I can’t choose a favorite, it’s like telling the others I don’t like them.
9. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
I hear from readers pretty regularly. They are mostly awesome and rave about the books, although the occasional rude email does come through. But hey, you can’t please everybody.
10. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I wanted to be a singer and a writer. I actually went to college to be a classically trained opera singer (which is how I met my husband, he is also a singer, such a sexy bass voice) but I changed my mind halfway through and switched to music education. It was a really good job, and I loved sharing my joy of music with children. Then I got to work on my other passion on the off hours--writing! Best of both worlds.
11. Tell us about your current project.
I’m currently writing a Valentine novella for my next Autism Charity Anthology. It will be set in Somewhere, TX and the hero and heroine are just an adorable mess. I love them.
12. How do you handle writers block?
I don’t think I’ve ever had it. My problem is usually too many ideas and not being able to stick with just one at a time.
13. What one subject is TABOO in your writing?
Mehhhhhh...I don’t like this question, lol. Personally, I think all subjects are open for debate, but it’s more about how you address them. Are you respectful? Or are you derogatory?
14. If there was one book you wish you'd written, which would it be?
Game of Thrones!!!
15. What is your biggest pet peeve?
People who drive below the speed limit.
16. Is there one current tv show that is a "can't miss" for you?
The Walking Dead!
17. Who was your greatest influence?
18. How do you choose your book covers?
Most of the time I have trusted my artists to give me suggestions and then I take it from there. My Sanctuary, TX series was my vision from the start though and my artist did a fantastic job of creating exactly what I asked for.
19. Something personal about you people may be surprised to know?
I’m 6 feet tall and can’t play sports to save my life (I’m quite sure it’s because I have tiny size 9 feet) and I was homeschooled from K-12th grade. Well that’s two things!
I love Facebook. It is also a source of much procrastination. I do have a facebook fan group too and I’m on Twitter some. Mostly just head over to my website at www.krystalshannan.com and sign up for my newsletter. I try to put everything there, so that the people who read get all the juicy details first. Plus you get free books when you sign up. So win win!